It is difficult to think about next school year when wearing blinders and studying for June's Step 1 exam. Wait, what, life is going to continue after June?
Yesterday we were assigned the order of our third year clerkships, which is a big deal. Clerkships are the 4, 6, or 8 week rotations in classic medical fields that we must complete. It is expected that we learn the basics in all of these. If someone asks, "Is there a doctor on the plane?" I'll be able to handle the problem because of this training. Problem is, all of the fun specialties (like radiology, dermatology, critical care) are in year 4. One poster on SDN forums says, "Clerkship is like a liquor store; they keep the good stuff in the back, behind closed doors." Truth.
Here is my schedule:
Why is the order so important? By the end of year 3, I should know which medical specialty in which I want to specialize. Scary! I need letters of recommendation when applying to residency, so scheduling a specialty I actually like for the first slot is a bad idea -- I'll have no idea what I'm doing on that rotation! On the flip side, students hit a wall and stop performing well at the end of the year. Thus, all of the rotations I like are in the middle of the schedule.
Interested in visiting Chicago? Come during easy rotations, on weekends between rotations, or during 4th year.
Yesterday we were assigned the order of our third year clerkships, which is a big deal. Clerkships are the 4, 6, or 8 week rotations in classic medical fields that we must complete. It is expected that we learn the basics in all of these. If someone asks, "Is there a doctor on the plane?" I'll be able to handle the problem because of this training. Problem is, all of the fun specialties (like radiology, dermatology, critical care) are in year 4. One poster on SDN forums says, "Clerkship is like a liquor store; they keep the good stuff in the back, behind closed doors." Truth.
Here is my schedule:
Why is the order so important? By the end of year 3, I should know which medical specialty in which I want to specialize. Scary! I need letters of recommendation when applying to residency, so scheduling a specialty I actually like for the first slot is a bad idea -- I'll have no idea what I'm doing on that rotation! On the flip side, students hit a wall and stop performing well at the end of the year. Thus, all of the rotations I like are in the middle of the schedule.
Interested in visiting Chicago? Come during easy rotations, on weekends between rotations, or during 4th year.


No comments:
Post a Comment