On Easter


Though I am not religious, traditions are traditions and they are constants in my life that will always make me feel at home. This is the eighth year, sixth apartment, and second city (haha, pun) since moving away from California. Before long, new routines change and fade away before having a chance to morph into traditions. This is, in my opinion, one of the downfalls of being part of a very mobile generation: the willingness to move for a job or school or adventure decentralizes our experiences and displaces our lives.

So, I celebrate holidays such as Easter that are so grounded in family and annual repetition in order to not feel so... on my own... in the middle of the country. Celebrating Easter (and Christmas), admittedly, is one of the hypocritical parts of being an atheist but that is another topic for another time. Last year I made brunch for a group of new medical school friends. This year, homemade brunch again but with a different set of friends who are equally on their own and far from home.

I am a 26 year old student living 2,020 miles away from where I grew up. I am moving in six weeks, graduating in two years, will commit to a residency in who knows what city, and then may complete a fellowship... who knows where home will be for the rest of life. Until then, I have many wonderful people in my life who are willing to spend a wonderful Easter morning together in this tiny apartment.

Recipes to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment