Date: Sunday, July 1, 2012
Location: Tatopani
Elevation: 1190m
Tatopani means "hot water" because of hot springs but I am uninterested in bathing because (1) I have open blisters and a leech bite, an open invitation for infection, (2) it's hot and humid out, and (3) I just did Arab baths and hot springs in Sevilla and Yangshuo, respectively.
We're getting lazier by the day and are now sleeping in until 8am! Last night we had really bad food (not what we ordered, tried to overcharge, noodles were disgustingly stale) and decided to split a power bar and eat farther down the road. Ghasa is a long town situated on the river and it was raining heavily by the time we reached the lower village, so we stopped at the last teahouse and had delicious omlettes with Tibetan fry bread.
It was either sprinkling or overcast and humid the entire walk today. It felt like a long day to me because I was sweating so much. P put on his music and headphones while trekking; I hike far ahead of him, for once, just to get lost in my own thoughts again. We just arrived in Tatopani (I'm so excited for some healthy food here!) and I discovered a fresh leech bite on my lower shin. The leech is gone but the puncture is bleeding profusely yet doesn't hurt. We're going to spend the night here, treat our beaten bodies with good food, and decide in the morning if we will head toward Beni or Poon Hill.
Rob and Mike caught up to us again! I love running into them - they're like old friends.
Health notes:
- I sunburned half of my arms on the Tilicho Lake day. Today my skin is tarting to peel, but instead of flaking off it is blistering with sweat underneath the skin.
- My feet are getting more used to the pounding. Now, if I step a certain way on my arch, a nerve is pinched and I get a brief pins and needles sensation. I can't really feel the blisters anymore.
Location: Tatopani
Elevation: 1190m
Tatopani means "hot water" because of hot springs but I am uninterested in bathing because (1) I have open blisters and a leech bite, an open invitation for infection, (2) it's hot and humid out, and (3) I just did Arab baths and hot springs in Sevilla and Yangshuo, respectively.
We're getting lazier by the day and are now sleeping in until 8am! Last night we had really bad food (not what we ordered, tried to overcharge, noodles were disgustingly stale) and decided to split a power bar and eat farther down the road. Ghasa is a long town situated on the river and it was raining heavily by the time we reached the lower village, so we stopped at the last teahouse and had delicious omlettes with Tibetan fry bread.
It was either sprinkling or overcast and humid the entire walk today. It felt like a long day to me because I was sweating so much. P put on his music and headphones while trekking; I hike far ahead of him, for once, just to get lost in my own thoughts again. We just arrived in Tatopani (I'm so excited for some healthy food here!) and I discovered a fresh leech bite on my lower shin. The leech is gone but the puncture is bleeding profusely yet doesn't hurt. We're going to spend the night here, treat our beaten bodies with good food, and decide in the morning if we will head toward Beni or Poon Hill.
Rob and Mike caught up to us again! I love running into them - they're like old friends.
Health notes:
- I sunburned half of my arms on the Tilicho Lake day. Today my skin is tarting to peel, but instead of flaking off it is blistering with sweat underneath the skin.
- My feet are getting more used to the pounding. Now, if I step a certain way on my arch, a nerve is pinched and I get a brief pins and needles sensation. I can't really feel the blisters anymore.

No comments:
Post a Comment