The AC Series: day 14

Date: Monday, July 2, 2012
Location: Ghorepani
Elevation: 2860m

We descended back in mosquito territory: lower altitude, humid, and wet.  I've gotten three bites in the last day and it's horrible.  This morning I slathered DEET on my arms and then read the package's warnings about not putting it near any bodily openings and it's instructions to wash the repellent off immediately after it's no longer needed.  I definitely didn't get any bites while hiking with this monster cream.

Today was completely uphill - 1,600 meters (1 mile) - of altitude gain.  It is estimated to take 8 hours but P and I did it in 6.5, plus two short breaks.  We walked up countless stairs.  Every time we descended I cringed, knowing that we'd have to regain the altitude.  An hour or two into the morning the humidity was so high that no sweat evaporated off me.  I saw the beads forming on my skin as if little spigots all over were leaking.  I was dripping like a man.

Perhaps because we did the circuit before this or perhaps because of the lower elevation and breathable air, the climb wasn't as strenuous as I anticipated.  It was still very difficult.  I huffed and puffed but only took short breaks every half hour (a little more frequently near the top).  The trail is thick with dung and flies, even more unpleasant the first half of the AC while on the other side of the mountain range.  It's still overcast and I'm hoping that it will clear up by daybreak tomorrow when we climb up Poon Hill.

I have the beast bed in the best room at this teahouse: pushed into a corner and surrounded by two walls of windows.  Mike and Rob are here, too, and we're enjoying a relaxing afternoon reading and talking. Rob is sharing his Cola-flavored gunny candies with me in return for Pringles.  Peter found a Mandarin-speaking couple in the common room and is so happy for a bit of Chinese practice -- I'm really amused from watching this interaction.  P is reading Pride and Prejudice and we're having a lively conversations about Darcy, Lizzy, and which characters we identify with morst.

I finished Seven Years in Tibet just before writing this.  On to the next book!

Past journal entries:

No comments:

Post a Comment