Weekends are too short

Every weekend is to catch up on life and to relax.  "Catching up" takes one day to run errands and one day to clean house.  Relaxing take one day to unwind and another to enjoy being relaxed.  Yes, the two are exclusive and cannot overlap.  Thus, I can only do one or the other each weekend because it takes two days to accomplish.

This weekend I tried to cram in both organizing my life and hanging out with friends - and I was left unsatisfied with both.

Thursday: attended Artopia on Cherokee Street with a few coworkers.  It was a live art event with artists working on paintings, a fashion show, body paint, hookah, fire eating performers, a printing press, free booze, and awesome food (now I'm in love with brown sugar bacon and Kakao chocolates).


Saturday: explored downtown Belleville (all three blocks of it) by myself and taught some high school kid working at the frozen yogurt shop how to pronounce "mochi."  He politely asked how I know to say the word and, to make things simple, said, "I'm part Asian."  A woman, who had asked the boy what mochi is, started talking at me: "Have you ever tried Korean food?  I just had it for the first time.  Do you ever drive into the city?  Well, if you ever get into St. Louis there's this place on Olive Boulevard that you haaave to try.  I forget the name but promise me you'll go there."  I promised.  I had to bite my tongue to not talk back to her because (1) I probably have better recommendations than she could ever give me (2) I don't trust her taste because she doesn't know what mochi is and (3) I've been in the city more often this month than she probably has in her life.

I moseyed over to Hobby Lobby and discovered that frames were half off, so of course I spent more money than I had budgeted this month on a nice poster frame.  Next was Borders where I  went crazy on their liquidation sale, where the most expensive book I bought was 50% its original price.


Sunday: The Festival of Nations in Tower Grove Park is one of my favorite events of the year!  M, H, and I warned each other with some variation of, "I'm going to eat a lot of food from a lot of booths so don't judge."  I had Moroccan, Thai, Eritrian, and Vietnamese.

M, H, me

No comments:

Post a Comment