Step 1 studying

Okay, it's time to hunker down.

In January I resolved to post every weekday - and I did - but posts are going to become more scant. In less than two months I will sit for the most important exam of my life to date, the United States Medical Licensing Exam, Step 1 (aka USMLE or Step 1 or boards [as in, board exams]).

The score I get on this can make or break which residency specialty I can apply to and which locations will accept me. Going into something competitive, like orthopedic surgery? I'd need a high score. Going into any ol' pediatrics program? I just need to pass. Pediatrics at a top-name institution, such as Children's Hospital of Philadelphia or Stanford? I'd need a really competitive score.

So, in preparation, I pretty much need to memorize this monstrous book:
... in addition to completing about 2,200 practice questions (and studying their answer explanations), a handful of practice tests, and supplementing First Aid with a half dozen other books. Everything that I learn I meticulously annotate into First Aid to create a one-stop resource of information. Every page is going to look something like this:
Whew. It'll be over soon. Until then, please understand that I'll be sitting in the library all day, every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment