Jack's Chili

Do you ever do this? When I foresee a busy week, I cook a big pot of something. Right now I'm on day seven of my favorite soup and homemade challah. Then, after eating the same reheated meal for lunch and dinner everyday for a week, I get so sick of it that I don't want to see it ever again. Inevitably I return to the dish once I forget about the force-fed week of meals. So goes the cycle every six months or so.

Right now I am still on hiatus from chili and cornbread. In February I got around to trying out a chili recipe that a friend's mom gave me. The recipe was incredibly simple compared to my go-to chili recipe but I thought it was over seasoned. Next time I'll increase the meat and tomatoes while keeping the same amount of spice.

Jack's Chili
From Kris' mom

1 pkg McCormack' chili mix
1 pkg Lawry's chili mix
1 can (15 oz) stewed tomatoes
1 large onion
1 lb meat (ground beef, ground turkey, tri tip, etc.) crumbled or cubed to bite sized pieces
3 cans beans (any combo of pinto, black, kidney, cannelli, etc.)

Cut onion in half. Put half of onion in blender with the can of tomatoes and purée slightly. Chop other half of onion and sauté in Dutch oven or large pot until wilted. Add meat and brown. Once meat is browned add dry chili mixes and stir to cover meat (this will be gooey). Add puréed tomatoes and stir. Add beans, cover and cook until meat is done. (If using tri tip or other unground meat you can wait to add beans until meat is tender.)


Cornbread (the cheating method)
1 box Trader Joe's cornbread mix
1 can of corn

Prepare the TJ's mix as instructed. Drain the corn, then fold it into the batter. Bake as directed.

No comments:

Post a Comment