5 simple habits can help doctors connect with patients (NPR)

Isn't it shocking to hear that only 9% of just-graduated doctors make an effort to sit next to their patient? Standing over a patient often leaves an unfavorable or officious impression. The author of this article uncovers the simple and oft overlooked reasons why there are frequent disconnects between provider and patient. In essence, many professionals have become so rushed and so accustomed to a world without social graces that the basics have been left in the dust.

So here's a note to my future self. Remember to:
  1. introduce myself.
  2. explain the role I play in the patient's care.
  3. touch the patient.
  4. ask open-ended questions. (This is drilled into our heads at school.)
  5. sit down.

2 comments:

  1. really interesting. very few of the doctors I saw did three through five. only one I saw — a neuro surgery resident — did all five!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. As a patient I would definitely feel more comfortable if all five were done during the visit, though how the doctor speaks and conducts the visit is equally important.

      Delete