Pregnant women are doing it wrong (The Guardian)

'Pregnancy can be, and often is, the most stressful and demanding period of a woman’s life, at least in the biological sense. As a result, many women find they need as much information, help and support as possible during pregnancy. But depressingly often, a line can be crossed from “helpful” to “oppressive”.'
I hear it regularly in class: don't prescribe this to women, tell them to stay away from that, this is a teratogen (causes birth defects), and that's effect is unknown so keep away from it all the same. Keeping it straight in my mind is a challenge. How do pregnant women manage?

The thing is, the most crucial steps in development -- developing a nervous system and brain, developing a working heart, etc. -- occur in the first trimester, nay within the first few weeks of conception. Bathing fetus in alcohol or prescription drugs at so early a stage, when a woman might not know she is pregnant, can cause miscarriage or severe defects. Do the same during the second or third trimester and the effects are less deleterious but still adverse.
'Pregnant women and/or new mothers are human beings at their most vulnerable and bewildered, so why are they constantly bombarded with alarming “information”, unwelcome scrutiny and judgement?'
The advice can be overwhelming, as this editorial in The Guardian points out. The author makes a lot of points I want to say, so I'll take it from a healthcare worker's point of view: it is my job, during school, to learn what I can and cannot do to pregnant women for fear of being negligent in giving care. Aside from that, the world is filled with so many "bad" influences that it's up to the mother to live as healthily as possible. Everything in moderation!

Best wishes to my pregnant friends - I'm very excited for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment