White Coat Ceremony

Students are initiated in to medical school with a ceremony in which they receive their first white coat.  This coat is an initiation into medicine.  It is a symbol of the trust that people put in us and a reminder of the professionalism expected of us.

My parents flew to Chicago just for the ceremony.  I sat amongst the 192 other students at my school, had a doctor help me put on my coat, walked to a microphone to say my name and what quality I will bring to medicine, then signed my name in the school's book.  Some students said they had a moment when the experience suddenly became "real" but I did not -- it will probably happen when I work with my first patient.
We took the Oath of Hippocrates together.  This is a modified version that is not specific to MDs.
At the time of being admitted as a member of a healthcare profession, I solemnly pledge myself to the service of humanity.  I will give to my teachers the respect and gratitude which is their due.  I will practice my profession with conscience and dignity.  The health of my patient will be my first consideration.  I will respect the secrets which are confided in me.  I will maintain by all the means in my power, the honor and the noble traditions of my profession.  My colleagues will be my brothers and sisters.  I will not permit consideration of religion, nationality, race, or social standing to intervene between my duty and my patient.  I will maintain the utmost respect for human life even under threat.  I will not use my knowledge contrary to the laws of humanity.  I make these promises solemnly, freely, and upon my honor.
School starts tomorrow and I'm already reviewing lecture notes.

No comments:

Post a Comment