What does one bring on a ten-week trip through Asia? I spent months agonizing over this list and started buying things back in September - one thing here, another thing there - to spread out the expenses. Several backpacking blogs (such as this one), sites that specialize in travel tips (including Travel Independent), and travel agencies' lists (here's one for Nepal to which I shamelessly posed as a potential customer and emailed with questions) helped.
I had to consider timing (summer and monsoon seasons) and geography (Himalayas, coastal, tropical, desert) when compiling the list. I also had to consider what I could purchase while on the road and what is absolutely necessary that I bring from the 'States. AND it has to fit in one backpack! It looks like I'll have to survive with just three dresses and one shirt.
Luggage and Equipment
backpack
daypack (broke during second week)
Platypus water bottle x2
Camelbak wide-mouth water bottle
sleeping bag liner
head lamp
passport pouch
lock and bike cable for securing luggage
carabiners
silica gel packets and ziplock bags (to keep things dry)
umbrella
Footwear
waterproof ankle-height hiking boots (broken in)
Vans
shower shoes
Clothing
rain jacket (used twice)
1/4 zip midweight long sleeve shirt
convertible hiking pants (only wore while hiking)
leggings
bike shorts
cardigan
3 dresses
1 shirt (only wore while hiking)
a lot of socks (including these)
4 pairs fast-drying underwear
3 bras
one-piece swimsuit (never wore)
2 bandanas (only used while hiking)
Entertainment and Electronics
playing cards (only used while hiking)
Olympus PEN E-P3 camera
- extra battery
- extra memory card
- lenses: 14-42mm, 20mm, toy lens
- Gorillapod tripod (rarely used)
First Aid and Personal Items
sunglasses
reading glasses
Swiss Army knife
SteriPen water sterilizer
bug spray
AfterBite
sunblock
lip balm with SPF
hand sanitizer
deodorant
3oz each: shampoo, conditioner, face wash
soap bar
travel hairbrush, hair ties
toothbrush, toothpaste, floss
razor
nail clippers
tweezers
bandaids
ibuprofen
antibiotic
malaria prophylaxis
Ace bandages
Quick-dry towel (invaluable!)
laundry cord (never used), sink plug, bar of laundry soap (invaluable!)
1 roll of TP
protein bars
Paperwork
passport and copies
IDs: driver's license, international driver's license, student ID
itinerary
embassy contacts
insurance contacts
plane tickets
passport photos
I had to consider timing (summer and monsoon seasons) and geography (Himalayas, coastal, tropical, desert) when compiling the list. I also had to consider what I could purchase while on the road and what is absolutely necessary that I bring from the 'States. AND it has to fit in one backpack! It looks like I'll have to survive with just three dresses and one shirt.
Luggage and Equipment
backpack
daypack (broke during second week)
Platypus water bottle x2
Camelbak wide-mouth water bottle
sleeping bag liner
head lamp
passport pouch
lock and bike cable for securing luggage
carabiners
silica gel packets and ziplock bags (to keep things dry)
umbrella
Footwear
waterproof ankle-height hiking boots (broken in)
Vans
shower shoes
Clothing
rain jacket (used twice)
1/4 zip midweight long sleeve shirt
convertible hiking pants (only wore while hiking)
leggings
bike shorts
cardigan
3 dresses
1 shirt (only wore while hiking)
a lot of socks (including these)
4 pairs fast-drying underwear
3 bras
one-piece swimsuit (never wore)
2 bandanas (only used while hiking)
Entertainment and Electronics
playing cards (only used while hiking)
Olympus PEN E-P3 camera
- extra battery
- extra memory card
- lenses: 14-42mm, 20mm, toy lens
- Gorillapod tripod (rarely used)
Kindle with charger (loaded with 20 books)
iPod nano with headphones and charger
Moleskine journal and pens
alarm clock
power adaptors
First Aid and Personal Items
sunglasses
reading glasses
Swiss Army knife
SteriPen water sterilizer
bug spray
AfterBite
sunblock
lip balm with SPF
hand sanitizer
deodorant
3oz each: shampoo, conditioner, face wash
soap bar
travel hairbrush, hair ties
toothbrush, toothpaste, floss
razor
nail clippers
tweezers
bandaids
ibuprofen
antibiotic
malaria prophylaxis
Ace bandages
Quick-dry towel (invaluable!)
laundry cord (never used), sink plug, bar of laundry soap (invaluable!)
1 roll of TP
protein bars
Paperwork
passport and copies
IDs: driver's license, international driver's license, student ID
itinerary
embassy contacts
insurance contacts
plane tickets
passport photos

No comments:
Post a Comment