Neither I nor my host family can believe that it's been seven years since I stayed with them. I was in high school, I was still learning French, and they were zealous about having a host student. Now I've studied more language and culture and they are willing to give me more autonomy - I have a set of house keys and come and go as I please. I got in on Tuesday morning, followed that evening by Claire. Romain, my host brother who now lives in China, is in town to renew his visa. For one glorious meal we had a full house.
They told me that my French isn' bad - it might actually be good. I've mostly forgotten vocabulary in those seven years, which is easily picked up again. We did have conversations about election politics (both in France and the US) and about dams in the Amazon basin. Here's to three days of not speaking any English!
Il faut que je travaille mon français quand je retournerai aux États Unis. Il y a quelqu'un qui veux m'aider? Je te promesse que c'est marron!
They told me that my French isn' bad - it might actually be good. I've mostly forgotten vocabulary in those seven years, which is easily picked up again. We did have conversations about election politics (both in France and the US) and about dams in the Amazon basin. Here's to three days of not speaking any English!
| Notre Dame gargoyle |
| I had a picnic lunch on the Île de la Cité |
| Maisons typiques |
| Sacre Coeur |
| A couple walked through my photo of 54 Rue Lepic, where Vincent Van Gogh lived with his brother. |
| WTF - this is the A&F entrance on the Champs Elysées. |

that first sentence seems off somehow. also, did I miss the lesson where we learned "It's Brown?"
ReplyDeleteWhat are you referring to?
DeleteHave a safe trip - bon voyage!
Ohhhh. "Travaille mon français" is to "work my French." I don't think the word "to practice" literally translates - or does it? "Marron" is a slangy way of saying "fun."
Delete