My productivity at work, in class, and in life has dramatically decreased since a friend proposed that we start planning our travels next summer. As welcome as this suggestion was, it was the catalyst that destroyed my ability to concentrate.
I am planning a four (or more) month long adventure across four continents before I go to medical school. It is best to plan the trips in reverse chronological order because the only certain date in the chaos of flight schedules is that I need to be back in the states by the end of July. The majority of schools start in August - some sooner, some later. That July 31 deadline feels like a fishing pole and my travels like testing how far I can cast the line: travel for too long and I am losing out on income I could have made by working; travel for not enough time and I will go stir crazy from being in America for too long.
So first up is a mega Asia trip lasting for at least eight weeks. I am trying to figure out who to visit, for how long, how easy or difficult it is to obtain visas, how to book train tickets at the last minute, appropriate clothing to purchase...
Perhaps the oddest sensation derived from the past few weeks is that of leaving St. Louis. I see an end to living here and it's already bittersweet. Next year will mark the midwest as being my home for 1/4 of my life and about 1/2 of my more adult memories.
On to more research and more planning!


No comments:
Post a Comment