I deactivated my Facebook account

On Friday afternoon I found myself doing the usual tour de Facebook: read through some of the recent posts on the newsfeed, find an interesting comment by someone I haven't talked to in years, click on their profile, and then descend into a deep dark hole of learning about this person's life. Only this time, I grew tired of perusing the online life of someone that I will probably never speak to again. Who really has time to keep up with 1,400 people? What I really should do, I realized, is spend that Facebook time connecting to people who really do mean a lot to me.

Without hesitation I deactivated my account (after making sure that I can resurrect the profile if need be). This was a long time coming, actually, as I am starting to study for the medical licensing exam and am pruning distractions from life. Now I am without a social media profile and in withdrawal; my fingers subconsciously type "fa" into the url bar frequently.

That same evening I had a two hour phone chat with someone four time zones away. It was amazing.

Do you think I will last four months? Would you ever consider doing this?

No comments:

Post a Comment