One of my classmates is a super fast reader and can read about 600 words per minute on paper, though the number significantly decreases to 100-200 per minute when reading on a computer. I looked into some statistics on reading speeds and think she has underestimated her skill; hers really is impressive. An average book is about 80,000 words and she reads about 150,000 every day! I was a skeptic until I saw it today.
Of course, I could read at that pace but would not comprehend very much. I took this reading speed test, developed by Staples, and came out only average. That's disappointing, because average is below the speed at which an 11th grader reads, and even farther behind a college student's speed. If this was on paper would I have read it any faster?
The world's fastest reader, Anne Jones, reads 4,700 words per minute and comprehends just as well as I do at my normal pace. Incredible.

No comments:
Post a Comment