My favorite soup

Whenever I visit my friend Marit we end up in the kitchen.  I've known her since middle school and unfortunately see very little of her now - she's in med school in NYC, I'm in Chicago, and home base for both of us is Los Angeles.

During a break in college, I arrived at Marit's house ready for an adventure, as usual.  There is always someone over for dinner and there is always more food and more mealtimes than I can handle.  "I don't care if the roof is leaking so long as everyone has good food in their stomachs!" her dad proclaims.  Her parents crack open a cookbook, take inventory of their stuffed fridge, and try to make the recipe of choice as faithfully as possible.  They, being forward-minded west coasters, are into things that I never eat... like lentils.

I was leery at first but the nutty lentils, melted cheese strings, soft celery, and flavors brightened by vinegar won me over.  Now I think of her whenever I whip up the soup, which comes from a cookbook that I do not have the name of.
Lentil-Spinach Soup
serves 4-6
This is an easy to prepare soup that can be served any time of year.  Consider using chard or sorrel in place of the spinach.

The stock:
Use water plus any juice reserved from the tomatoes called for in the soup ingredients.

The soup:
1 cup green or brown lentils, cleaned and rinsed
1 bay leaf
1 celery stalk, sliced into 1/4-inch squares
7 cups water
salt
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 large red onion, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons parsley, chopped
3 medium tomatoes, fresh or canned, peeled, seeded, and chopped; juice reserved
1 bunch spinach (about 1 pound), stems removed and leaves washed
red wine vinegar or sherry vinegar to taste
pepper
Asiago or Parmesan cheese, grated, or crème fraîche

Put the lentils, bay lead, and celery in a soup pot with the water, the reserved tomato juice, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.  Bring to a boil and scoop off any foam that form on the surface; then lower the heat to a slow boil.  While the lentils are cooking, heat the oil in a skillet and add the onion and 1/2 teaspoon salt; cook briskly for a few minutes, lower the heat, and stir in the garlic and parsley.  Continue cooking until the onion is soft.  Add the tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes; then combine with the cooking lentils.

Cut the spinach leaves into 1/2-inch strips; there should be about 4 cups.  When the lentils are soft, stir in the spinach by handfuls.  Once it has cooked down, thin the soup, if necessary, by adding more water, and taste for salt.

Simmer the soup 5 minutes; then add vinegar to taste, to brighten the flavors.  Serve with freshly ground black pepper and Asiago or Parmesan cheese, or a spoonful of crème fraîche.

1 comment: