Getting back into the swing of school after two years off is difficult. Not only must I relearn how to learn, I need to drastically change my previous study habits. Long gone are the days of cramming a day or two before the test. I've said goodbye to erratic sleep schedules and studying at a poorly-lit desk.
I am enrolled in eight classes this quarter. Some ways in which classes are different from undergrad:
I am enrolled in eight classes this quarter. Some ways in which classes are different from undergrad:
- Every single student has the same class schedule of four hours of lecture each morning and occasionally a laboratory in the afternoon. We don't switch classes -- the lecturers come to us.
- Everyday is a different schedule. No more MWF or TR classes. No two weeks are the same, either. Sometimes we have three anatomy lectures in a row, sometimes we have biochemistry every single day, sometimes we have embryology just on Tuesday and Friday. CMS (Chicago Medical School) nicely set up a live Google Calendar just for this.
- There are multiple lecturers (doctors, PhDs, specialists) for each subject. Take biochemistry, for example: Dr. Glucksman lectures on enzymes for a week and a half, Dr. Choe teaches carbohydrate metabolism for a week, Dr. Kaplan makes a guest appearance for a day... keeping the teachers straight is a formidable task!
- Exams are every three weeks. Every single subject covered in the weeks leading up to it will be covered in one comprehensive, multiple-choice exam. Each lecturer submits 2.5 questions per lecture hour to be compiled in the question book.
So, the issue of absorbing all of the material has preoccupied me since arriving on campus. With at least four hours of lecture consuming every day, how do I find time to study? How do I not burn out? How do I make time for relaxation? That's a two-inch binder already full of lecture notes from the past nine days. I'm still trying to figure it out.



No comments:
Post a Comment