Dinner dates and Shirley

I see her time and time again in books and movies: young, single woman packs her schedule with lunch or dinner dates with friends to stave off lonely evenings. If she plans it well, no one person will feel overburdened by her constant need to be with someone.

On Sunday I had lunch with HOJ and her boyfriend Chris. On Monday I caught up with former roommate Brittany over Mediterranean food ("Kim, I wish I knew someone as equally wonderful and single for you!). Tonight I pulled Meredith away from her law school textbooks for tacos and burritos. Today is Wednesday, so that's three friend-dates in four days, minus the lunchtime phone conversation with Jessica yesterday.  A potential dinner with Mary is in the works to use some Groupons.  Have I become that type of woman?

I sure hope not. Since I'm on the verge of reserving a Self Storage space and an ounce of self-restraint away from raiding the grocery store's trash for moving boxes, I have stopped trying to meet new people in St. Louis. I'm trying to relish every last moment with the scores of amazing friends I already have. Tying up nearly six years in a city is difficult!

Today is the beginning of Black History Month. A crazy coworker (in a good way) assigned everyone a black woman to "own" for the month. Trying to match personalities, I was given Shirley Chisholm.  Her picture is already posted on my cubicle wall! She is the first African American woman elected to Congress, the first major-party black candidate for President, and had roots in an international education.  We do not share the same field but have similar big-idea aspirations.  She would never worry about becoming a "type."  I wouldn't mind being a lot like her so long as I don't also move to Florida when I retire.

No comments:

Post a Comment