Park-going

It's finally cooling down and I feel as if the gates of hell are lifting from the Midwest.  In celebration, today is the third day in a row that I've spent hours reading in the park. Friday was at Tower Grove, Saturday at Forest Park, and today at Bellevue.


Just now I finished an amazing, fantastical tale of a boy trying to save his father's life.  The friend I visited in New York, M, recommended the book and I finally gave in when I saw the gold foil and arabesques on the cover.  Clearly the author, artist, and I are of the same mind.  It's a bedtime story for adults, a cross between Arabian Nights and Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.  For a quick and fun end-of-summer read, I recommend Luka and the Fire of Life by Salman Rushdie.


While at Bellevue Park today, a woman (whose teeth showed the telltale signs of meth use) asked if she could borrow my phone.  Instead of coming up with an excuse - my battery died, I'm out of minutes, etc. - I told her the truth: I do not allow strangers to use my phone.  This is especially true since I upgraded to a brand new smartphone yesterday.  With my leg in a soft cast, there would be no way for me to run after the woman if, in the slim chance she was dishonest, she ran.  Why do I feel so bad about not letting her use it?

No comments:

Post a Comment