Anchorsplash

This evening was my sorority's annual fundraiser, Anchorsplash.  For a fee, teams register to participate in the swimming competition, which includes four amusing 4-person relays and a display of creativity in a synchronized swimming routine.  As an alumna, I went to watch and to mingle with my sisters while enjoying the lack of responsibility and personal investment in the event.  I felt overwhelmed being in the heat of WashU energy for the first time since May.  How did I do it for four years?

I ran into a friend, BDL, lifeguarding the event and she invited me to the lifeguard room to watch the ruckus.  While sitting behind the large windows and watching the action with muted sound, I thought about how different things have become.

All of the college kids looked so young.  Not to be patronizing or anything, just several months out of college and spending many hours around older women (read: older than me) makes these young men and women seem almost child-like.  They have fewer responsibilities, trivial problems, and all the time in the world.  I'm still close enough to the lifestyle to be very envious of it.  Will I grow out of this feeling?

Last year I was a senior and thought that my class was irreplaceable.  Au contraire, the girls I call "the juniors" easily took the place of my graduating class as the top of the pecking order.  The girls who once looked up to me are now the role models for others and are good at it.  How bizarre.  I just need to get it though my head that all of these changes and transitions have happened before and will happen again.

Photo Credit: Maya S

No comments:

Post a Comment